Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Idaho Native, Graduate Tapped for GOP Vice Presidential Nomination

Idaho Native, Graduate Tapped for GOP Vice Presidential Nomination
What an exciting day to be an Idaho Republican, and what a great way to kick off our new blog!
Alaska Governor Sarah Palin, a Sandpoint native and University of Idaho graduate, has been named as the Republican Vice Presidential candidate by Senator John McCain.

Just minutes after hearing the news, I received a call from Dee Sarton with Channel 7 news in Boise. She asked how I was doing and my immediate response was "ecstatic". That has been my response all day. I've got an extra hitch in my giddy-up as I head to Minneapolis for the Republican National Convention with my fellow Idaho delegates.

Governor Palin is a young, smart, energetic and well-spoken, rock solid conservative -- and a Westerner with Idaho roots. What more can Idahoans ask for in a Vice Presidential candidate?
From the national perspective, this is a bold, strategic masterpiece. I'm pretty sure the Obama camp never saw this one coming; certainly not Idaho Democrats.

Does the Obama camp dare attack Governor Palin - a historic choice as the GOP's first female nominee? How would Hillary supporters react to that?
Obama also has some serious competition in the battle to attract America's youth to the political scene. And I don't think Joe Biden helps his cause.

Can there be any doubt as to which candidate -- McCain or Obama -- is the deeper and more strategic thinker and decisionmaker?

And how discouraged must Idaho Democrats be? Obama passed up his Western options for VP and Delaware is a long way from Idaho. McCain's choice has ignited a new fire in Idaho Republicans that is sure to carry over to all of the other races on the November 4 ballot. That is bad news for Idaho Democrats.

As you can tell, I am genuinely excited about this pick. Governor Palin and I attended the University of Idaho together in the 1980's (she graduated in 1987 and I graduated in 1988). She is also from the same part of Idaho that I grew up in. And, as I indicated before, she is a true conservative.

I can't help but feel a great deal of pride as our generation -- the youngest that was able to vote for Ronald Reagan -- now steps up to take its turn at the wheel, a new generation of conservative leadership.
I look forward to your thoughts on this historic day for Republicans in Idaho and across the Nation.

Victory 2008

Norm Semanko, Chairman

No comments: